[FC4] /dev/dsp permissions problems

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jun 17 03:10:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 19:50 -0700, V V wrote:
> Err, My problem is that I have no audio in KDE. It
> complains about permission denied. If I manually set
> permissions I have sound in KDE... TIA

pam_console should be setting that up for you when you log in.

[mpeters at laptop ~]$ ls -l /dev/ |grep dsp
crw-rw----  1 root    root    14,  12 Jun 15 08:23 adsp
crw-------  1 mpeters root    14,   3 Jun 15 08:23 dsp
[mpeters at laptop ~]$

[root at laptop mpeters]# cat /var/run/console/console.lock
mpeters[root at laptop mpeters]#

I had that problem before when I was trying to use tmpfs for /var/run -
but something is disturbing pam_console from setting the permissions for
you.