Not very happy with FC4

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 13:47:18 UTC 2005

Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 08:26:39AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>

>>On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 12:50:43PM +0200, Alexander Volovics wrote:
>>
>>>1) I cannot get any sound at all, although everything seems
>>>   correctly configured. This is a SB Audigy 2 ZS soundcard.
>>>   This worked out of the box with FC3.
>

>>Try going through alsamixer and making sure nothing is muted that shouldn't
>>be.
>

> I had just been going through all entries in the 'amixer' output
> very carefully for the umpteenth time and I suddenly found that the entry
> for 'Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack' was not "on" even though
> I had chosen it in the graphical volume control app.
> I changed this and now sound works OK.

ROFL! I had a similar problem in FC3 when using a Boston Acoustics
speaker pair and subwoofer set with a Sound Blaster Live EMU-10K1 card.
When, at the very end of the ALSA mixer, I saw the SB Live
Digital/Analog Output Jack checkbox, I knew I finally had a solution
allowing me to use my digital stereo system instead of a plain-vanilla
set of analog powered speakers.

The only remaining annoyance is that I have to reset this /every single
time/ I boot up--though not when I log out of one account and log into
another without shutting down in between.

Temlakos