Stuck on run-level 3 :-(

Andoni andonilist at eurokom.ie
Fri Jun 17 16:41:13 UTC 2005

Andoni wrote:
>>>and the startx command does not work.
>>
>>In what way does it "not work"? I would expect:
>>

> It only returns:
> -bash: startx: command not found.
>
> Does this mean that I do not have a window manager installed?

It's more likely that your PATH is set incorrectly. "startx" is part of
the "xorg-x11" package, which is almost certainly already installed on
your system, and the command should be found at /usr/X11R6/bin/startx

What's the output of "echo $PATH" on your system? The directory
/usr/X11R6/bin should be included.

Ok, found startx in /usr/X11R6/bin/startx it is linked to /usr/bin/X11 (the
dir is).

When I run it I get:

./startx: line 132: xauth: command not found
./startx: line 133: xauth: command not found
./startx: line 132: xauth: command not found
./startx: line 133: xauth: command not found
./startx: line 141: xinit: command not found
./startx: line 144: xauth: command not found
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console