FC4 system boot hangs

Andy Pieters mailings at vlaamse-kern.com
Fri Jun 17 16:56:14 UTC 2005

On Friday 17 June 2005 13:42, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> Sometimes (it seems to be randomly) the system hangs at boot up. Just
> before writing ok for the cups starting. I can't see anything
> in /var/log/messages.
> Someone would have an idea ?
Hi

I have this also.  The culprit on my system seems to be the GPM (Console Mouse
Services).

I loged on in runlevel 1 (append single to your kernel command), and tried to
start that service.  It hangs while starting.  When I aborted, and then
checked with ps, it show that the process is loaded... So my guess is this is
something in the configuration file.

Anyway, my fix was to chkconfig level 123456 gpm off, then exit and the system
boots up normally.

Hope this helps

Andy

--