Unrecognized previous installation Can't upgrade to FC4

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 00:26:47 UTC 2005

On 6/17/05, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 19:59 -0400, Terry Bell wrote:
> > Fedora Core 4 ( and FC2,FC3) does not recognize my FC1 installation and
> > only allows me to install, not upgrade
> > my system.  I can't remember if FC1 was a clean install or upgrade from
> > RH9. Any suggestion appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Not what you were asking - but I would highly recommend a clean install
> from fc1 to fc4 anyway - that's a big jump. I know backing up can be a
> PITA but it is worth it imho.

Agreed -- the upgrade from FC1 to FC4 will not be worth the pain even
if you can get it working (the fact that you can't makes it sound like
your installation has problems anyway...)

And when/if you re-install, put your data-bearing filesystems (like
/home) in a different partition -- it makes re-installing much, MUCH
less painful!
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves