FC-4 -- unhappy experiences

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jun 18 12:35:19 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 11:26:44PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> As I explained, I was installing from the hard disk.
>> The only reference I could find to Vaio/Picturebook
>> in the Release Notes was about installation from CD.
>

> I'd suggest trying it anyway. Again, I've installed Fedora on a Vaio
> picturebook with no problem.

OK, I tried that - responding to the boot prompt with
"linux ide1=0x180,0x386" and it made no difference -
anaconda bombed out while "Reading package information"
in exactly the same way.

This didn't surprise me, as I assume the above prompt
is giving special parameters to the second hard disk controller,
which would not be used when installing from hard disk.

You say you have installed Fedora on a Vaio picturebook without problem -
which picturebook, and which CD reader did you use?
Did you have to give the prompt above?

I have a second Picturebook (C1VFK) and I'm going to see
if I can install FC-4 on that from the hard disk.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366