Netgear WAG511 Card in FC4

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Sat Jun 18 21:09:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 09:32:54AM -0600, David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) wrote:
> I'm having some trouble getting a Netgear WG511 card to even be
> recognized by card services.

Which version of the card? If Made in China, it won't work as the
(so-called "softmac") chipset used isn't supported yet by the prism54
driver.

If it's Made in Taiwan, you need to:

- fetch the firmware here: http://prism54.org/~mcgrof/firmware/
  and place it as "isl3890" into /lib/firmware

- add a line "alias eth1 prism54" (eth1 or whatever your card should
  show up as) to your /etc/modprobe.conf

If I remember correctly, that was enough to make the card work on my
FC4T3 test installation I did on my laptop. I do remember very well the
situation that the card was completely ignored. I'm not sure HOW I
managed to get it recognized at all, but IIRC the major point was the
alias line in /etc/modprobe.conf.

Please let me know wether that worked...

Best regards,
Daniel