Need assist - FC4 and DELL Inspiron 8100 - Video - nvidia GeForce2

david feldman wb0gaz at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 18 23:22:30 UTC 2005

I am trying to install NVIDIA's accellerated graphics driver version
1.0-7664(appears to be latest)  from their (nvidia.com) website to enable X
on a Dell Inspiron 8100 (default install gives me 800x600 but it appears it
is not aware of the machine's video adapter.)

nvidia's linux driver's install program tells me there is no "pre-compiled
kernel interface" (presumably for FC4's kernel which in my system is
2.6.11-1.1369_FC4, unmodified from an initial install.

There is information that leads you down the path of compiling a new kernel
interface, but I'd like to avoid re-inventing that wheel if someone already
has done that, and/or solved getting X on this particular machine.

Very grateful for any assist...

Dave
wb0gaz at hotmail.com