Netgear WAG511 Card in FC4

R L fedora26 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 00:15:30 UTC 2005

On 6/18/05, Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 09:32:54AM -0600, David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) wrote:
> > I'm having some trouble getting a Netgear WG511 card to even be
> > recognized by card services.
>
> Which version of the card? If Made in China, it won't work as the
> (so-called "softmac") chipset used isn't supported yet by the prism54
> driver.
>
> If it's Made in Taiwan, you need to:
>
> - fetch the firmware here: http://prism54.org/~mcgrof/firmware/
>   and place it as "isl3890" into /lib/firmware
>
> - add a line "alias eth1 prism54" (eth1 or whatever your card should
>   show up as) to your /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> If I remember correctly, that was enough to make the card work on my
> FC4T3 test installation I did on my laptop. I do remember very well the
> situation that the card was completely ignored. I'm not sure HOW I
> managed to get it recognized at all, but IIRC the major point was the
> alias line in /etc/modprobe.conf.
>
> Please let me know wether that worked...
>

> Best regards,
> Daniel
>
> --
> CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr at cluenet.de -- dr at IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0
>
> --

Ok, well mine is in Taiwan.  I did what you said and my dmesg says
Loaded prism54 driver, version 1.2.  And I have it loaded as a module.
 So that is good.  However, when I do "iwconfig", I get:

lo    no wireless extensions
eth0  no wireless extensions
sit0   no wireless extensions

And when I do iwconfig eth0 essid 123456 I get:

SET failed on device eth0 ; Operation not supported.

eth0 is my pc slot WAG511 card right?  It's not sit0 right?  I tried
sit0 and it wouldnt even load the prism driver.  Now why can't I
configure eth0 with iwconfig?

BTW, "cardctl info" displays the correct info.