Wired ADSL Problem...

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jun 19 03:13:46 UTC 2005

Xia Bin writes:

> Hi all
>
> I have some wired difficulties with my adsl setup.
>
> At first I use system-config-network to config my adsl connection (I
> tried adsl-setup later but the result is somehow the same). It seems
> working all right and can be set up immediately after been configured.
> Then during the reboot, the adsl connection failed to be set up for
> something like a timed out error. (I watched my modem, it was like that
> no data-like user name or password, was send during the boot-up, it just
> fell into a loop status for about 30 sec. or more). But I find that I
> can always manualy start it-through "Network" in "System Settings" or
> just type "adsl-start" in the console.
>
> I'm confused now, very.
>
> It's like the "network" service whoes job is setting up my network
> connections won't work out my adsl connection in the init phrase while
> my another lan interface can be set up smothly.
>
> I now have the "adsl-start" string put in my gnome session's "Startup
> Programs". This would work, but I know that sounds silly.
>
> Someone give me a better idea?

This isn't the answer you are looking for, but it is a technically better
idea nevertheless.

The better idea is for you to find a real Internet provider.  Forget all
that nonsense and drivel you have to go through with whatever rinky-dinky
outfit you are using, with all that userid and password nonsense.

Find a real Internet provider that gives you:

1) Your IP address, your netmask, and your router's IP address.
2) IP addresses of their DNS servers
3) A router or a bridge modem with a plain, garden-variety 10Base-T port.

Then, all you have to do is plug in the cable, and enter the IP addresses
into "Network Settings", and you'll be good to go.