Systematic Upgrade from Fedora 1 -> 4

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Jun 19 05:20:20 UTC 2005

Am So, den 19.06.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 7:06:

> My question goes to specifics. I just don't understand how you tell
> Fedora, during installation, to put /home on partition xyz, and the rest
> of not-root on partition abc --- I certainly believe its possible
> because I 've read many posts counseling separating /home to its own
> partition. I just don't understand the practicals - how do you actually
> do that during an install?

> Claude Jones

You will have to partition manually using Disk Druid (ok, running fdisk
on the console would do too). Didn't you ever create a separate
partition for /boot? It would be the same for any other specific
directory. Anyway, what you do - and the same is possible running RAID
and/or LVM (with LVM it is an LV and not a partition) - is that you
start by creating a partition of a specific size. You further define in
that step which filesystem should be used and - this is the important
fact - at which mountpoint the partition should be mounted. Some common
mountpoints are already predefined and you can choose one of them out of
this list. But it is no problem to choose a very different, like
/var/spool/mail. You can repeat this step as often you like as long you
have free space for new partitions. One of the partitions created this
way must have the mountpoint /.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/s1-diskpartitioning.html

for further reading and screenshots.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
Serendipity 07:11:01 up 26 days, 5:48, load average: 0.32, 0.51, 0.47