yum times out frequently - socket timeout value too low?

Msquared sub1.fedoralist at msquared.id.au
Sun Jun 19 11:54:24 UTC 2005

I am using a 28800bps modem connection to the internet, and I frequently
get this error when fetching the filelists and so on, especially on large
filelists.xml.gz files:

  http://ftp.udl.es/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/repodata/primary.xml.gz: [Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out
  Trying other mirror.

It will try a whole lot of mirrors, each generating the same error
message, before I will give up and fetch the .xml.gz files manually via
wget.  After I do this, the rest of the updates work fine.

Is there somewhere I can tweak the network timeout parameters for yum?

Regards, Msquared...