PPTP installation-configuration in FC4?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Jun 19 21:23:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:42:45 +0100, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
wrote:

>> yum install dkms
>> rpm --install kernel_ppp_mppe-0.0.5-2dkms.noarch.rpm
>> modprobe ppp-compress-18 && echo success
>
>Did this work (the word "success" appeared?)?
Yes, it did.

>> yum install pptp
>> yum install libxml libglade
>> rpm --install php-pcntl-4.3.10-1.i386.rpm
>> rpm --install php-gtk-pcntl-1.0.1-2.i386.rpm
>> rpm --install pptpconfig-20040722-6.noarch.rpm
>>

>You should be able to run pptpconfig as a regular user and be prompted
>for the root password. There should also be a "PPTP Client" menu option
>on the gnome "Internet" menu.

Yaackk......
I just now saw that I had downloaded the .src.rpm instead of the
.noarch.rpm module!!!!

No wonder the install did not produce the correct result...
Have to fix my eyesight.

Sorry for the trouble, now I have configured a tunnel and tested
pinging from the pptpconfig console.

A last question:
I am asked to supply a Client-to-LAN rout and the help says to enter
in the form 10.0.0.0/8
What does this mean? I actually connect to a network using 10.0.0.0
with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. How should the route rule be set
then?
I tried adding it as 10.0.0.0/8 (literally), but I get no reply when I
ping a known server by IP address from a terminal window in FC4.

The only ping I have been able to successfully do is the one in the
tunnel screen and it selects the other end of the tunnel apparently.

Bo Berglund