Window manager for power users?

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 20 20:35:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:35:27 -0400
Adam Gibson <agibson at ptm.com> wrote:

[Tall windows, short screen - vs. Metacity][

> I see I am not the only one bothered by that too.  Changing screen
> resolution has become much easier now that we have xrandr than it used
> to be.  Windows created bigger than the screen can handle has come up
> quite a few times for me in the past year.  You would think the window
> manager would be smart enough to know that a 800 vertical pixel window
> will be useless on a 768 pixel desktop.  Any buttons at the bottom will
> not be unusable without trying to manually shrink the window by clicking
> on the top of the window, dragging it down, releasing, moving the window

What seems really strange to me is that SOMETIMES you seem to be able to
grab the window and drag it upwards by holding down the alt key while
dragging (and the top portion of the window goes underneath the Gnome
panel). Sometimes, this doesn't work and Metacity refuses to drag the
window upwards any farther than the panel.

> up some, and repeating if it still doesnt fit.  I think any window that
> is created should be autoreduced to the max display resolution(minus non
> hiding panels too) if the X or Y is bigger than the desktop.  It sure
> sounds good anyway.

I've done the resize/drag/resize/drag thing a number of times here. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!