NVIDIA Driver on FC4 - performance?

Alastair Neil ajneil at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 03:11:29 UTC 2005

Installed ok once you turn off selinux, however performance seems poorer.
Here is a strange story
I posted to the NVIDIA linux forum, but noone has replied so maybe someone
here can cast some light.
I upgraded my machine from FC3 to FC4 via yum, all worked well and I decided
for grins to install the nvidia
drivers so I could use the GLSlideShow screensaver (shallow I know). The
screensaver worked flawlessly.
I then did a clean install on the same machine and after disabling selinux
installed the same drivers now the
GLSlideShow screensaver is choppy as thought here is a timing problem (black
bands strobing across the display
as the image is panned and zoomed). No combination of the parameters in the
nvidia-settings seems to improve
matters. The card is a GeForce 4400 MX 64Mbyte with 8xAGP. The system is a
Dell Optiplex 270. The monitor is a
Dell 17" flat panel driven via DVI. The display is set to 60 VerticalRefresh
wich is the panels optimum.

I don't mean to hijack the thread :)