yum dependency errors with libssl and libcrypto

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de
Tue Jun 21 17:07:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:34:56 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> When I run "yum update" on my FC-4 system (upgraded from FC-3)
> I get a large number of dependency errors
> of which the following are a sample:
> --> Processing Dependency: libcrypto.so.5 for package: mysql-server
> --> Processing Dependency: libcrypto.so.5 for package: kdenetwork
> --> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.5 for package: samba
> --> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.5 for package: kdesdk
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.5 is needed by package postgresql-libs
> Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.5 is needed by package authd

This can mean that you have configured a repository which upgrades
something in a way which removes the packages which provide
libssl.so.5 and libcrypto.so.5.

> What is puzzling (to me) is that I have libssl.so.5 and libcrypto.so.5 , eg
> [root at alfred tim]# locate libssl.so.5
> /lib/libssl.so.5
> [root at alfred tim]# ls -ls /lib/libssl.so.5
> 4 lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 16 Jun 14 20:10 /lib/libssl.so.5 ->
> libssl.so.0.9.7f
> [root at alfred tim]# rpm -qf /lib/libssl.so.5
> file /lib/libssl.so.5 is not owned by any package
>
> As far as I can see, files installed by a package as symbolic links
> are not regarded as belonging to the package?

It is a minor packaging bug. The openssl package ought to include the
link, too. The link is created and maintained by ldconfig.

But your query is wrong anyway. The dependencies you see are on "libssl.so.5",
which is not a file, but a "shared object name":

  $ rpm --query --whatprovides libssl.so.5
  openssl-0.9.7f-7