newbie first computer

ron macroron at webtv.net
Tue Jun 21 18:14:47 UTC 2005

>On Monday 20 June 2005 1:33 pm, ron wrote:
>
>Hello,
>
>When I activate my modem connection on fedora 3 using
>kde connection wizard it hangs up on:
>
>activating please wait popup.
>
>system log says:
>
>dial tone received - connection successful
>
>last entry says:
>
>Chap Authorization Failed?
>
>Isp provider msn.com
>
>Need help please.
>
>Thank you
>
>-ron-
>
>from a root prompt type "kudzu -p" and cut and
>paste the modem section of the response to a reply
>to this message
>maybe I can help
>
>--
>
>Claude Jones
>
>Bluemont, VA, USA

Hello Claude,

Thank you for the kudzu tip. I finally made connection to msn. I
discovered you must put MSN/ (in caps) before your logon name
(MSN/<–user name goes here) with none windows software. After
connecting my browser would not load anything, and searching in the
instructions I found mention to kppp and to edit /etc/sysconfig/network
and add GATEWAYDEV=ppp0

It works browser works fine. Now log shows connection succeeded but the
network admin tool shows not connected (it showed connected before
changing file) but at least I am online.

Now to set up email and I can send kudzu data.

I am also having problems with installing software from discs that came
with my sony lcd (to adjust picture settings) and my belkin ups (to
install shutdown software). The cds are mounted and I can see a lot of
windows files and some linux tar files that I can open I have no idea
what to put were and what to execute.

Thanks Again,

All help is appreciated.

-ron-