Anyone managed typing @ with Swedish keyboard on FC4?

Mats Erlandson mats at tropeab.com
Tue Jun 21 18:51:16 UTC 2005

>On 21 Jun 2005 10:11:40 +0200, "Lars E. Pettersson" <lars at homer.se>
>wrote:
>

>>>To answer your question in the subject; yes, works perfectly for me on
>>>three different computers.
>>>
>>>Not sure I can help you though. But have you tried to run
>>>system-config-keyboard? Have you made any changes in Kde/Gnome regarding
>>>keyboards?
>>>

>I just installed FC4 from the CD:s I downloaded from Chalmers and
>during that process I told it I had a Swedish keyboard. I don't even
>know where I can make changes to Kde/Gnome....
>
>In the menu on the desktop I managed to find where I can add a second
>keyboard layout (US) and when I activate that I am able to type @ and
>the other characters but then not ÅÄÖ åäö anymore..  :-(
>
>So now I can switch between two different keyboards but they both are
>unable to type certain characters. Not so really good.
>
>Bo Berglund

I agree with Lars Pettersson; I have installed FC3/FC4 on three
different computers and I am using US and Swedish keyboards alternately
and have no problem. During install I used the US keyboards and then
installed system-config-keyboard and gnome-applets. When I add Keyboard
Indicator to the panel I add the 'other' keyboard and note the default
under Layouts. This then allows me to switch keyboards by simply
clicking on 'USA' or 'SWE' and it will shift from one keyboard to
another. All keys operate as expected. Not only that, since I am using
the US keyboard by default, I do not even have to plug in the Swedish
keyboard but just change layout, of course, if I can remember where the
keys are on the Swedish keyboard. Consequently, '@£$€¥{[]}\±´øæöäå' were
all typed on the US keyboard with the layout set to 'SWE'.
Mats