Sun JVM 1.4.2_8 doesn't work with FC4

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 21 22:23:52 UTC 2005

Brian G. Anderson wrote:

>> java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument or cannot assign requested
>> address
>>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
>>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
>>         at
>> java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
>>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
>>         at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:452)
>>         at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:402)
>>         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:309)
>>         at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:153)
>>         at SocketTest.main(SocketTest.java:18)

Brian, I had the exact same (strange!) problem with my 1.4.2 JVM after
upgrading to Core 4. I did not investigate in detail -- I just assumed
it was some sort of conflict between my Sun VM and the gcj stuff that
comes with Core 4, as warned about in the release notes.  As you said,
using JVM 1.5 worked fine, and all of my JDK 1.4 compiled programs work
fine without recompilation on a 1.5 JVM.  One thing I did not try was
uninstalling my Sun 1.4 JDK package (which was a holdover from an
upgraded Core 2 installation) and installing a jpackage-based 1.4 JDK on
Core 4. If you try that, I would use rpm -V vigorously :-)

Cheers,
Raman