How to stop file browsing creating new folders?

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 00:11:18 UTC 2005

On 6/21/05, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:
> At 12:19 PM -0300 6/21/05, Ben Steeves wrote:
> >Thought you might find this interesting/apropos:
> >
> >http://www.murrayc.com/blog/tech/2005-05-19-09-40.html
>
> As a MacOS person, I note that this is not describing any "spacial" view,
> but rather a non-spacial hierarchical list view (often called a "tree view"
> on MSWindows).  "Spacial" refers to windows and icons staying where /you/
> put them, rather than being moved at the whim of the program.  Macintosh
> had the "spatial" and list ideas in the Finder over 20 years ago; Steve and
> his NeXTies tried to obliterate the spacial view in MOSX with the "browser"
> view, but it snuck back in.  The hierarchical list view came in with System
> 7, as I recall.

As I understand it, this is a hybridized spatial/hierarchical view in
which the contents of that folder are remembered as being hierarchical
(the memory preserving spatiality), and any directories opened via a
double-click (rather than tree expansion) are opened spatially.

There's no hard and fast rule saying you need to use solely a
hierarchical view or solely a spatial view.  Both views have their
utility.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
  The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves