nautilus samba shares

Kazimieras Vaina kazimieras.vaina at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 07:10:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 22:04 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Kazimieras Vaina wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I've just installed fc4 on x86_64 machine. I use gnome for my desktop.
> >
> >When I browse smaba shares with nautilus I see %20 instead of spaces in
> >files and directories names. This prevents browsing directories where
> >names contain spaces. Does anyone experience this problem ?
> >
> >Best regards
> >Kazimieras
> >

> As far as I recall, spaces are represented by %20 and \ by %5C or
> something similar. Usually the translation works when clicking on the
> links. Best thing is to avoid spaces in directory and file names and the
> \ character.
>
> I have downloaded items before and it would save the %20 in the file
> names because of the person putting spaces in filenames. The files came
> out like:
> My%20Favorite%20Music.mp3 instead of My Favorite Music.mp3
>
> Jim
>
> --
> Never put off till run-time what you can do at compile-time.
> 		-- D. Gries

I have fc3 on the other machine installed. On that machine spaces are
represented by %20 only in nautilus address bar, but not in the "files
view". I when I copy a file - the name of copied file isn't altered.
While in fc4 I'm not even able to copy such file - nautilus says that
the file does not exist. This problem only appears only with smb shares.

I suspect there is a bug in gnome-vfs2-smb or in nautilus. Is it a known
issue or should I file a bug report in bugzilla ?

Kazimieras