fdisk : error code 22

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jun 23 01:28:57 UTC 2005

Bruno Costacurta wrote:

>I'm trying to change partition type using fdisk but I receive error 22.
>What does this error 22 means ?
>
>Reboot (as suggested by the message) doesn't resolve neither update partition
>type.
>
>(...)
>fdisk /dev/sda1
>
>Command (m for help): t
>Selected partition 1
>Hex code (type L to list codes): 83
>
>Command (m for help): w
>The partition table has been altered!
>
>Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
>
>WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid
>argument.
>The kernel still uses the old table.
>The new table will be used at the next reboot.
>Syncing disks.
>(...)
>
>Thanks for any clue,
>-- Bruno

Maybe you stumbled upon a bug, lucky you.  :-)

The commands look right to me. I have an external disk that I can try to
toggle types and see if it does as you are seeing.
The only thing that I could guess was that your partition table is in a
read only condition by a feature in bios, caused by some AV progam you
had on the disk prior.  Your partition table might be corrupted and
fdisk gives you the invalid argument, error 22 response.

I haven't toggled from fat32 to Linux recently. I did toggle to lvm and
it seemed to take. It was a type 83.

Jim