life cycle of fedora4

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 04:52:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 21:57, ody quraviharto wrote:
> hello all,
> firstly I'm a newbie of Fedora. I wonder to know why Fedora release
> version so soon?
> I've just installed FC2 a year ago and now FC4 is released.
> I'm afraid that my FC2 can't be upgraded and goes into legacy product.
> As a Linux user, I'm concerned installing new version of Fedora
> instead of developing application on Fedora, yes so my job is
> installing the new version, installing on and on.
> do I have to move to another longer-life-cycle distro?

Before you can decide this, you have to understand the Fedora/Red Hat
policy of not doing version-number application updates within
a distribution version's life.  If you are running a server,
you probably don't mind keeping older versions because Linux
server applications have been stable and feature-complete for a
long time.  However, desktop software is still evolving rapidly so
you probably want to run the latest versions - and with fedora
the only way to get them is to move to the latest distribution
release.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com