authentication in apache for a subdirectory

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 05:25:10 UTC 2005

> For Basic authentication issue the following command:
>
> htpasswd -c /opt/htpasswd/passwd.users username
>
> In httpd.conf
>
> <Directory /var/www/html/myfolder>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName  "Access to the Modules"
> AuthUserFile /opt/htpasswd/passwd.users
> Require user username
> </Directory>

Hey ,

Thanks everybody for replying me.I followed the above example.The
problem now I am facing is that when i put the address
http://localhost/myfolder it asks for password.What I wanted is that
If anybody tries to access a subdirectory under
/var/www/html/open/hms/modules/
then it should ask for password.As this directory contains some
important modules and everybody should not have access to this.

I gave these entries in httpd.conf and restarted the apache server

<Directory /var/www/html/open/hms/modules>
AuthType Basic
AuthName  "Access to the Modules"
AuthUserFile /opt/htpasswd/passwd.users
Require user username
</Directory>

I does prompt for the password for every directory where as I want to
ask for a particular subdirectory under /var/www/open/hms/modules.

Please guide me.Moreover if you can tell me the SSL encryption method
also I will be very helpful as I will configure the authentication
depending on the type of client.

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover