PXE/KS FC2 Installs

MW Mike Weiner (5028) MWeiner at ag.com
Thu Jun 23 12:34:55 UTC 2005

On 6/22/05, MW Mike Weiner (5028) <MWeiner at ag.com> wrote:
> List readers -
>
> I have made major break throughs in my efforts to get PXE/KS fc2
> installs to work.
>
> However I have a new issue this morning, I fire up the test box, it
> goes out, gets an IP, gets the kickstart script, begins the install
> albeit in an X window. There was an error installing 'X'.rpm This can
> indicate a media failure, lack of disk space, and/or hardware problem.

> This is a fatal error and your install will be aborted. Please verify
> your media and try your install again.
>
> Well, when I reboot the system to try again, it fails on yet another
> RPM. I rsync'd the RPMS down from loop-mounted ISOs so I am unsure why

> it is complaining of bad media. Has anyone else had this problem, and
> how do we work around this issue? I see nothing in any logs on the
> server providing the install media.
>
> OK, I grabbed another test box, exactly like the first one, and yes,
> the random RPM complaints seems to carry over to another new box, I
> had to flash the bios to upgrade the version of PXE on the test box
> and now that's fine and it can see the dhcpd server fine. Just seems
> to randomly pick an RPM and complain about it, then wants a reboot.
> Has anyone else seen this? And if so, how do I correct the issues?

Based on your random errors I'd guess that you and errors on the
harddrive or network (bad cable, card swicch port...)
--
Leonard -

Appreciate the response, I did try another server, and even changed
kickstart to serve up the iso's rather than raw rpms, and I STILL get
the random complaints of bad media (corrupted RPMS). What is the best
way to debug the problem here? I need to get this going, I have several
hundred boxes I need to put through this same process, and at this
point, it going to be VERY painful. I will reboot the victim with a
mem86+ boot disk and see if there is any issues with the memory, but the
hardware I am serving the DHCP/PXE/KS/RPMS from is a new box and been
running great with no hardware issues.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Michael Weiner