Yum repros wanted

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 14:04:59 UTC 2005

Sean O Sullivan wrote:
> The more repo's you want, the more conflicts and dependancy issues you
> will have - it is not a good idea to add every repo you can find.
>
> Personally, base/updated-released/extras, then dag and freshrpms are
> very reliable I find. atrpms i usually fine, although wouldn't use for a
> server. Other than that wouldn't touch many others - especially not
> livna ( http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#D )
>
> Regards,
>
> Sean

Are you sure about that? The way I heard it, livna and extras were part
of the same mold. Now I'll let Dag and Axel speak for themselves, but
the impression I got from following the link you gave is that they
wouldn't even want you to use extras, just because the extras
maintainers won't "play nice" with them.

Back to your main point: if I were still using yum or apt, I'd agree
with you--in which case I wouldn't use anything beyond base,
updates-released, extras, and livna, and if I wanted anything from any
other repo I'd wget it and run rpm -Uvh on it. But with the smart
package manager, I can set priorities on the various repos to avoid such
conflicts. Smart will even /repair/ any conflicts that it finds when I
first install it. (Edit->Fix All Problems...)

Temlakos