live update for fedora core 5?

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 14:55:32 UTC 2005

Jack Howarth wrote:
>       Has there been any discussion of adding a live upgrade method to the
> supported methods of installing the next Fedora Core release? I believe
> Fedora would get much wider usage if users could be insured a simple
> yum based approach to upgrade from one Fedora Core to the next. Also I'm
> not talking about handing them a FAQ entry but rather provide a small set
> of packages that they can install on the previous Fedora Core and run to
> live update them via yum to the current release. I would like to stay on
> Fedora but the iffy upgrade path has me seriously looking at Centos.
>                         Jack

All right, but everyone still has to be careful of what happens when you
upgrade certain packages that are part of Core--like postgresql. A lot
of good your "live upgrade" will do when people discover that their
databases are now inaccessible--which has already happened to one poor
soul on this list.

I've heard many people say that Fedora was never intended for a
mission-critical application. Well, the testing releases almost
certainly wouldn't be. But I'm sure that any release of Fedora beyond 3
would be a good, rock-solid foundation for at least a year, if not two
years--at which time I would expect any good server maintainer to be
prepared to upgrade from scratch, perhaps using a detachable USB
hard-disk drive to back up the /home filesystem and any database
exports, on-site repositories, and the like.

All that said, remember that we use Fedora without paying any royalties.
Now where else can you get such cutting-edge technology without paying a
whopping licensing fees? (Not from Mandrake or Mandriva or whatever they
call themselves these days, for example.)

BTW--I've always felt that what this community needs is its own site, or
a regular contributing relationship with someone else's site, with a
good, rich FAQ that will answer all the questions that come up again and
again (usually greeted with the curt command to "read the archives").

Temlakos