FC4 ignores /etc/hosts?

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 14:57:27 UTC 2005

Preston Kutzner wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 23:09 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>
>>Ever since I upgraded FC3->FC4 my laptop system is ignoring everything
>>in my /etc/hosts file. It worked fine in FC3. My /etc/nsswitch file
>>contains the line:
>>
>>     hosts:	files dns
>>
>>Anyone else seeing this problem???
>

> My computer isn't quite set up like yours, but I do have to say that at
> least Gnome doesn't ignore the /etc/hosts file.  I installed FC4 on my
> machine, then went and changed the machine name in the network settings
> and restarted.  When I logged into Gnome, it complained that it couldn't
> find my machine name in the /etc/hosts file.  I'd never seen this
> behavior before... strange.  I had to add the entry in manually, then
> Gnome quit complaining.

Did you remember to change your host and domain name in /two/ different
places? System-config-network has a hosts listing--and maybe it reads
/etc/hosts to do it. I had to add my new host name with the loopback
address, and that's when Gnome stopped complaining to me about not being
able to find the host name.

Temlakos