How can I use CD Player? [SECOND (better) question]

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 24 15:44:56 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 08:29 -0700, Hoffmann wrote:
> --- Richard England <richard_england at mentor.com>
> wrote:
>

> > >Message: 2
> > >Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:02:41 -0700 (PDT)
> > >From: Hoffmann <oasf2004 at yahoo.com>
> > >Subject: Re: How can I use CD Player? [SECOND
> > (better) question]
> > >To: For users of Fedora Core releases
> > <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> > >
> > >--- "N. James Bridge" <james at xmas.demon.co.uk>

> > how

> > the

> > >Hi All:
> > >
> > >I do know that, right after putting a CD into the
> > CD
> > >drive, automatically the CD Player screen appears
> > on
> > >the screen. The problem is: when I push the PLAY
> > >button nothing happens. It seems like it is not
> > >possible to play a CD from the CD (drive), or the
> > CD
> > >Player is ignoring the CD that is into the CD dive?
> > >mean, with Fedora, all we need to do is to rippe
> > the
> > >CD first? If that is the case, multimedia should be
> > >improved a lot on linux. Right now, all the time I
> > >want to listen to a CD (without to ripe it first),
> > >need to move to Windows. Well, I would like to do
> > that
> > >with Fedora, instead.
> > >Any new hint?
> > >Thanks!
> > >Hoffmann
> > >

> > I had a machine at work with this symptom and it was
> > the lack of audio
> > connection cable from the CD drive to the sound card
> > that was causing
> > the problem. This was alluded to earlier by:
> >
> > "Charles E. \"Rick\" Taylor, IV"
> > <tomalek at mindspring.com
> >
> > You need to open up your machine and verify that
> > this cable is in place.
> > The only alternative is to find a CD player that
> > will play them
> > digitally. Something like mplayer or xmms, perhaps?
> >
> > --R
> >
> > --
> >

> I don't think that should be my problem, since, I can
> listen from CD on Windows.
> Something seems to be wrong...
> Hoffmann

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Hoffman,

Does the timer on the CD Player indicate that a song is playing?  If so
then check the level of the CD input to the mixer and/or the CD player
application.

As Rick stated, try mplayer or xine or maybe totem (digital playback),
if that works then there is something wrong in the analog path between
the CD drive and the input on the sound card/motherboard.  I believe the
gnome CD player application relies on the drive to do analog playback.

I think Windows Media Player uses the digital method for CD playback.

Bob...