No account e-mail?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Jun 24 16:15:31 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 24.06.2005 schrieb Bob Chiodini um 17:55:

> On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 09:34 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> >     I have several users who don't need a physical account but would
> > still like to be able to send and receive email.  How can that be
> > accomplished?

> Cyrus IMAP can do that, but tends to be complicated to set up, but is
> very robust.  In FC4 cyrus IMAP is in extras.
>
> If you are using dovecot then you could set them up with accounts and
> set their shells to /bin/false or /sbin/nologin to prevent them from
> actually logging in.

Dovecot can use authentication with non-system users too. The wiki page
has some good info:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/Authentication

> For remote users to send mail, you can configure sendmail
> (via /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and /etc/mail/access) to relay for a given
> set of hosts.  See /usr/share/sendmail-cf/README.

As the aim should be to just have 1 single auth backend and not auth
data in different places, the combination of Sendmail and Dovecot could
lead to the decision to configure authentication for Dovecot with one of
the ways it offers and then to change the saslauthd to use RIMAP instead
of SHADOW (/etc/sysconfig/saslauthd). Sendmail's default configuration
uses the saslauthd.
> Bob...

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC2smp
Serendipity 18:09:27 up 3 days, 2:23, load average: 0.43, 0.38, 0.29