FC4 Installation - X won't start

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Fri Jun 24 16:22:22 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I have a test box I use to install new FC releases. I've used it to
install FC1-FC3 successfully.

When I try to install FC4 from the CDs (which all passed mediacheck)
the install craps out as it tries to bring up the graphical installation screen.

It probes and successfully finds the video card (TridentCyberBlade), the
monitor (Envision) and the generic 3 button mouse.

It then tries to start the X server and I get the following errors:

_X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't get address for localhost:6001 Name
or service not known

(mini-wm:560): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :1

Anyone have any insight on why X won't start?

I have tried the text install. I use the graphical install because it's so easy
to get s/w raid devices setup.

Any help appreciated!

Mike