Yum repros wanted

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 16:38:53 UTC 2005

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:04:59 -0400, Temlakos wrote:
>

>>Sean O Sullivan wrote:
>>
>>>The more repo's you want, the more conflicts and dependancy issues you
>>>will have - it is not a good idea to add every repo you can find.
>>>
>>>Personally, base/updated-released/extras, then dag and freshrpms are
>>>very reliable I find. atrpms i usually fine, although wouldn't use for a
>>>server. Other than that wouldn't touch many others - especially not
>>>livna ( http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#D )
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Sean
>>>

>>Are you sure about that? The way I heard it, livna and extras were part
>>of the same mold. Now I'll let Dag and Axel speak for themselves, but
>>the impression I got from following the link you gave is that they
>>wouldn't even want you to use extras, just because the extras
>>maintainers won't "play nice" with them.
>

> What solution could you think of?

Well, /somebody/ has to meet the other one halfway! All that I see on
the extras site is that they want us to encourage the /developers/ of
the applications or other packages involved to /submit their packages to
extras/ for inclusion. Or they encourage /us/ to submit the packages to
extras. /Not one word/ do they speak about coordinating their efforts
with those of men like Dag and Axel.

I'd go along with using extras exclusively, except for one thing: Extras
never has had the selection that Dag and Axel have had. The head of
extras can speak for himself, of course, but the impression I have is
that the "quality control" process even to /get/ a package into extras
takes longer than the typical release cycle of Fedora.

Extras did surprise me when, the first time I configured my system (back
in FC3) to use extras, I got twenty-two updates of packages (like
anjuta) that I had installed from dag or at-stable or freshrpms. So
their selection is moving up. I'd like to see the process move a bit
faster, that's all.

In the meantime--well, now that I have smart, I can have the additional
selection of dag or at-stable without "breaking" a package that the
"alternatives" conflict with.

Temlakos