Problems with Kernel 2.6.12.1 on FC3 / FC4

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Fri Jun 24 22:45:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 13:58 -0700, John Wendel wrote:
> Built kernel 2.6.12.1 with my custom config file (same one I use for
> 2.6.11 successfully) on both boxes. Build seemed a little flakey on
> the FC4 box (lots of warnings), but WTH. Things seemed perfectly fine
> on the FC3 box.

I hope you did a "make oldconfig" before you compiled the kernel!

Although 2.6.12 can finally be compiled with gcc4 (FC4's default) I
doubt it is officially supported. Therefore you would better use "make
CC=gcc32 HOSTCC=gcc32" when compiling, this will also get you rid of the
warning messages.

> FC4 - boots fine, cannot login. Get login prompt, enter user id and
> password, fails, returns to login prompt. Messages file indicates that
> there is a pam problem getting/updating the groupid <something> (don't
> have the log handy, but it definitely was a pam failure). Reverted
> back to the FC4 kernel.

I have seen the exactly same problem with kernel 2.6.11 when pam
changed /etc/pam.d/login to include pam_loginuid, I doubt this is
related to the 2.6.12 kernel

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Quantum Mechanics is God's version of "Trust me."