Connecting 2 computers to the internet

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jun 25 16:39:13 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 25.06.2005 schrieb Dotan Cohen um 17:16:

> Thanks, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. The FC4 box has an
> onboard network connection (going to the winXP box with a crossover
> cable) and a NIC going to the modem. I got a little stuck on
> configuring the FC4 box because I wanted it to be the middle man. But
> it looks as if I'm going to have to do it with the winXP box because I
> can't get the winXP box online through the Fedora box. Tomorrow I'll
> put the spare NIC in the winXP box and try it as the middle man.
>
> If anybody on-list has gotten this to work successfully, then PLEASE
> share your setup with me! IPtables scripts a must!!! I don't want the
> winXP box as the middle man because I don't want to turn it on all the
> time...
>
> Dotan

http://fedoranews.org/ghenry/gateway-non-ppp/

That article - and his predecessor http://fedoranews.org/ghenry/gateway/
-  should be helpful. Two points are typical pitfalls for beginners: the
Linux host must forward traffic between his 2 devices. This is calle
ip_forward and is to be set on (1) in /etc/sysctl.conf. The other point
is that the client(s) behind the gateway host must be able to resolve
hostnames. So they either have to have in their network setup knowledge
about the ISP's DNS addresses or if the gateway acts as a local caching
nameserver, they have to use his IP as DNS address.

Alexander

Serendipity 18:35:13 up 1:27, 18 users, 0.26, 0.17, 0.17