Connecting 2 computers to the internet

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jun 25 19:27:13 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 25.06.2005 schrieb Dotan Cohen um 19:29:

> > The other point
> > is that the client(s) behind the gateway host must be able to resolve
> > hostnames. So they either have to have in their network setup knowledge
> > about the ISP's DNS addresses or if the gateway acts as a local caching
> > nameserver, they have to use his IP as DNS address.
>
> Um, this was not very clear to me. I gathered that I must:
> 1) have in my network setup knowledge about the ISP's DNS addresses.
> OR
> 2) If the gateway acts as a local caching nameserver, I have to use my
> IP as DNS address.
>
> Where could I find out about these two situations? Is the choise of 1
> or 2 up to me, or does it depend upon the ISP?

> Dotan

Which way you choose depends on how easy or comfortable you want to
arrange your setup. Normally when connecting with you ISP he will
transmit the DNS information during the handshaking. When connecting
with Fedora this information can be used dynamically by the PEERDNS=yes
if ifcfg-ppp0 for instance. This way /etc/resolv.conf will be populated
each time a connection is established.
The trivial method now is to place these 2 DNS IP addresses into the
TCP/IP settings for the client host(s) behind the gateway. That can lead
to a problem when the ISP changes his DNS server IPs so that the used
ones on the clients get obsolete.
A more advanced setup is to use squid as a caching proxy and to make it
transparent for the client(s) by using iptables and redirecting port 80
traffic through squid. A different approach is to setup a caching
nameserver on your Fedora gateway which then does the name resolving and
to use the gateway's IP as DNS address in the client's settings.

Alexander

Serendipity 21:11:21 up 4:03, 17 users, 0.00, 0.06, 0.11