Pink console on FC4

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jun 26 03:13:29 UTC 2005

Jouni Viikari wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just upgraded my FC3 to FC4 and now I suffer from unreadable console.  I
>have my box running continuously on runlevel 3 and start X (Gnome)
>manually by "startx" when needed.  When exiting X/Gnome back to console
>screen it is quite unusable since it now has pink letters (or pixels...)
>on Purple background and this all is decorated with green border...
>
>Is there any way to reset to colors on console?
>
>I have Matrox G400 AGP video controller.
>
>TIA,
>
>Jeff

Download ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/libvgahw.a and as root, copy it
to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a

Since you use the console, I assume that you are capable at the command
line.

mv /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a  /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a.fc4
cp <location of saved fc3> libvgahw.a /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
chmod 444 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
chown root:root /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a

I believe that this problem has quite a bit of attention to it.
Originally, MGA and Intel were known to cause problems. These drivers
were tracked seperately since drivers were suspected to be the issue.
Now a link seems to be common to these problems. Libvgahw.a is that link.

Jim