CD and DVD I/O issue

Benjamin Sher delphi123 at zebra.net
Sun Jun 26 05:28:04 UTC 2005

Dear friends:

I have two CD drives: "cdrom: and "cdrom1". "cdrom" is also a CDWriter.
"cdrom1" is my DVD player. Both of them work fine: My music CD plays
fine in KSCD and my movies play fine in my DVD drive. Yet, there is a
definite I/O problem with both of them. Please see screenshot:

http://www.websher.net/temp/xmms6.png

Bootup confirms that both hdc and hdd, that is, "cdrom" and "cdrom1"have
failed the test and that they have an I/O problem.

I have no idea what this means. Does this have anything to do with IRQ?
If so, how should I try to solve this.

Thank you so much.

Is it normal for bootup to say that hdc and hdd have failed? Is there a
way to correct this for both hdc and hdd. Is this a matter of IRQ?

I then decided to edit /etc/fstab. Here is the old version:

[sher at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda4 /media/IOMEGA vfat
pamconsole,noatime,sync,fscontext=system_u:object_
r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
[sher at localhost ~]$

Here is the new version:

[sher at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom auto noauto,user,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder autonoauto,user,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/sda4 /media/IOMEGA vfat
pamconsole,noatime,sync,fscontext=system_u:object_
r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
[sher at localhost ~]$

I tried. Rebooted but I still saw the "Failed" comment about hdc and hdd
during bootup.

Would appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Benjamin