CD and DVD I/O issue

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jun 26 11:41:05 UTC 2005

Benjamin Sher wrote:

>  Dear friends:
>
>  I have two CD drives: "cdrom: and "cdrom1". "cdrom" is also a
>  CDWriter. "cdrom1" is my DVD player. Both of them work fine: My music
>  CD plays fine in KSCD and my movies play fine in my DVD drive. Yet,
>  there is a definite I/O problem with both of them. Please see
>  screenshot:
>
>  http://www.websher.net/temp/xmms6.png
>
>  Bootup confirms that both hdc and hdd, that is, "cdrom" and
>  "cdrom1"have failed the test and that they have an I/O problem.
>
>  I have no idea what this means. Does this have anything to do with
>  IRQ? If so, how should I try to solve this.

There are jumpers on the CDROMs that let you set up the drives as master
and slave. Since the drives seem to be working and are recognized as hdc
and hdd, I doubt that is the problem.
The only things that I can think of are for the cables being defective
or loose. Another possibility is that having both CDROMs on the same
controller stresses the IDE controller on your system board. I had an
old Memorex that loaded down the controller  heavily, making both
devices fail.
Check the jumpers on the drives and set one to master, check cables. Try
one connected at a time and see if the errors are specific to either device.

Just a few things that I'd try.

Jim