FC4: modem port isn't detected by kPPP?

Anthony Dean adean75 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 27 05:45:52 UTC 2005

After installing FC4 (whitebox PC, 256 MB RAM, 2.4 gHz Celeron
processor, external serial modem attached to a serial port), I tried to
get online; however, kPPP wouldn't recognize the modem's serial port
(which is now registering as "/dev/ttyS14" for some reason; in FC3, it's
"/dev/ttyS4"). Since kPPP doesn't have a listing in its port selection
pulldown menu for "/dev/ttyS14" (and selecting various other port
entries at random, including the old "ttyS4" one, didn't work), I don't
know how I'm supposed to get online in FC4. Given this rather
serious/fatal limitation, I reinstalled FC3 so I could get online and
try to find a means of fixing this problem (FC4 seemed fine otherwise...).

So, are there any fixes for this problem?

Anthony