FC4: modem port isn't detected by kPPP?

Thomas W. Cranston cranston_tom at asapchoice.com
Mon Jun 27 12:37:05 UTC 2005

Anthony Dean wrote:

> After installing FC4 (whitebox PC, 256 MB RAM, 2.4 gHz Celeron
> processor, external serial modem attached to a serial port), I tried
> to get online; however, kPPP wouldn't recognize the modem's serial
> port (which is now registering as "/dev/ttyS14" for some reason; in
> FC3, it's "/dev/ttyS4"). Since kPPP doesn't have a listing in its port
> selection pulldown menu for "/dev/ttyS14" (and selecting various other
> port entries at random, including the old "ttyS4" one, didn't work), I
> don't know how I'm supposed to get online in FC4. Given this rather
> serious/fatal limitation, I reinstalled FC3 so I could get online and
> try to find a means of fixing this problem (FC4 seemed fine
> otherwise...).
>
> So, are there any fixes for this problem?
>
> Anthony

I have a dialup problem w/Fedora core 3.

It will not let me configure my US Robotics PCI hardware modem to ttyS4.
The network configuration utility automatically configures it to ttyS0,
and does not give me the option to configure it to ttyS4.

The utility shows that it let me configure it to ttyS4, but when I check
dialup messages, it shows up configured to ttyS0

How can I configure my modem to ttyS4?

Also, how do I configure the authentification method. (PAP, Chat, and
CHAP) I need to use PAP.

I use Darn Small Linux running from my CD player and RAM on the same
machine that Fedora is installed on, and I can get out on the web. That
tells me that I do not have a hardware problem. It allows me to
configure my modem to ttyS4, and use PAP.