home directories fedora directoryserver

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon Jun 27 15:59:57 UTC 2005

Rob Mokkink wrote:

> With the console i create users etc.
>
> In the section posix user, you have got the option home directory:
> I tried using nfs something like this dcsrv1:/nfshome/test02
>
> Nfs server is up and running etc.
>
> On the client I configured auto.misc with the entry:
> nfshome  -rw,soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 dssrv1:/nfshome

This process is documented here:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-nfs-client-config.html

Basically, if you want home directories in /nfshome, then you need to
first put /nfshome in auto.master and refer to the "auto.home" file,
which you should then create.  That file should contain one line which
maps the home directories:

*  -fstype=nfs,hard,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nosuid
server.example.com:/home/&

Users home directories don't need any weird specs, just put the local
path in their home directory field (e.g. "/nfshome/test02").  autofs
will take care of the rest.