Why FC4 using the Jpackage 1.4.2 Java?

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Mon Jun 27 16:25:38 UTC 2005

Ernest L. Williams Jr. <ernesto <at> ornl.gov> writes:
> > > What about the java distro from IBM?  Is that one open-source?
> >
> > Nope. No open source JVM currently exists.
>
> The statement that "Sun's Java isnt even slightly open source" is
> clearly an exaggeration.

The definition of Open Source if pretty clear.
http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php
And so is the definition of Free Software.
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html

The version of the java platform that sun distributes is clearly not-free and
not-opensource. Fedora is about providing a free software platform based on the
above definitions.

> It relieves the developer of having to make platform specific
> considerations and optimizations in their code and places this strictly
> into the hands of the JVM where it belongs.  Developers can focus on
> building solutions and let the experts deal with platform specific
> optimization and other issues.
> 5) Sun has the ultimate say and reserves the right to control what code
> gets accepted into the official Java distribution.

And this is what makes it non-free, proprietary, closed-source software. As a
user you are automatically defined as "not an expert". And you are not free to
change the software to your own needs. No thanks.

> 6) It isn't Java unless it meets the licensing requirements set forth by
> Sun.  This ensures platform independence and a consistent definition of
> what defines Java.

And that is why currently we don't call GCJ or GNU Classpath Java(TM). There are
some people negotiating with Sun to get the (secret!) tests to proof that we are
compatible. But Sun has not been very helpful. So we created our own testsuite
(http://www.sourceware.org/mauve/) to show that we are aiming for proven
compatability with our projects.

> There is a huge number of 100% pure Java libraries that are
> freely distributed and open source.  Pure Java is a stable and supported
> solution.  What we see are people trying to take advantage of Java's
> popularity and then splinter off their own variant (which is not legally
> Java) to get what they want.

We are not splintering at all. We are creating a complete free replacement for
the java platform that integrates nicely with the traditional GNU platform
(http://lwn.net/Articles/130796/). We are really trying to make this free
platform as compatible and "pure" as possible. Sun (and the JCP companies) are
not helping by not openly publishing the testing requirements. So currently we
indeed cannot call what we produce Java (and I think Fedora should be more
careful not present GCJ4 as java, it really isn't).

All that said, please try out the free software jpackage solutions shipped with
FC4 based on GCJ4. If it doesn't work as expected or you think it isn't
compatible please report a bug, or better write a small test-case for Mauve, and
I promise the community will fix it together with you! Because we DO think you
are the expert. And that you should have the freedom to adapt and share software
to your and your users needs.

Cheers,

Mark