[FC4]Samba doesn't accessible to Windows

Teo Fonrouge fedora-list at windtelsoft.com
Mon Jun 27 17:20:38 UTC 2005

Jay Scherrer wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 14:50 -0400, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
>

>>Subject: Re: [FC4]Samba doesn't accessible to Windows
>>To: korgull at home.nl, For users of Fedora Core releases
>>        <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>>
>>Marcel Janssen wrote:

>>network.

>>smb://IP_ADDRESS.

>>>Actually I have a simlar problem. When I start samba at boot, it will
>>>

>>not
>>

>>>work.
>>>When I start samba (sometimes needed multiple time before it really
>>>

>>starts)
>>

>>>using swat it works.
>>>Beats the hell out of me why it behaves like this but it is
>>>

>>repeatable.
>>

>>>Regards,
>>>Marcel
>>>

>>Hello All,
>>
>>I had the same samba problem with FC4, along with a problem getting
>>active my ppp0 internet DSL interface at boot, this two services was
>>refusing to start at boot. This two services was working OK before my
>>update from FC3
>>
>>I think that it was having something to do with SE, because to
>>solution
>>this I had to turn off SE, reboot, then turn on SE & reboot again,
>>this
>>(I think) relabeled the entire file system & after this; no more
>>problems with the smb & ppp0 services getting working ok.
>>

>>best regards
>>
>>Teo Fonrouge
>>

>Can you give complete details with this solution? I haven't tried this
>but it seems logical. I've been racking my head with this same problem,
>But I'm still in FC3. I can smb over into Windows all day, but have no
>authority to smb from windows to Linux. How did do you turn-on, turn-off
>SE-Linux? Have you submitted this work around to anyone?
>
>Jay Scherrer

Hello Jay,

You can find the 'Security Level' gui utility in the 'System
Configuration' menu. Run it (you need to provide root password), select
the SELinux tab and deselect the Enabled checkbox, reboot, and again,
select the Enabled checkbox, reboot, this may take a while because the
relabel process.

Regarding your issues with your smb network, it would be usefull if you
provide us with a copy of your /etc/samba/smb.conf file to take a look
into it.

Back in to FC3 I never had troubles with my smb network, this issue came
with my new FC4 installation. So I think that your trouble may be more a
smb configuration one.

best regards

Teo Fonrouge