CD won't read contents -- Follow-up

Benjamin Sher delphi123 at zebra.net
Mon Jun 27 20:54:24 UTC 2005

Dear friends:

This issue is almost over. But I have a follow-up:

1) The DVD drive (hdd) will both read and play its contents.

2) The CD /CDWriter drive will play a music CD but NOT display its
contents in the File Manager.
But it will display the contents of a data CD made with the Linux file
system (e.g. compiled with K3b).

My question: why can't I get a music CD to display its contents in the
File Manager?

[sher at localhost ~]$ cd /media/cdrecorder
[sher at localhost cdrecorder]$ ls
[sher at localhost cdrecorder]$ su
Password:
[root at localhost cdrecorder]# cd ..
[root at localhost media]# mount /media/cdrecorder
/dev/hdc: Input/output error
mount: /dev/hdc: can't read superblock
[root at localhost media]# mount /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder
/dev/hdc: Input/output error
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
/dev/hdc: Input/output error
mount: /dev/hdc: can't read superblock
[root at localhost media]#

I am happy enough that KSCD will play the music CD. But I am wondering
if there is a way, a command for me to make it show its contents.

Thank you.

Benjamin