Samba isn't accessible to Windows.

Teo Fonrouge fedora-list at windtelsoft.com
Mon Jun 27 23:30:37 UTC 2005

Jay Scherrer wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 15:08 -0400, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
>

>>Message: 2
>>Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:20:38 -0500
>>From: Teo Fonrouge <fedora-list at windtelsoft.com>
>>Subject: Re: [FC4]Samba doesn't accessible to Windows
>>To: jay at scherrer.com,   For users of Fedora Core releases
>>        <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>>
>>Jay Scherrer wrote:

>>be

>>will

>>was

>>my

>>>Can you give complete details with this solution? I haven't tried
>>>

>>this
>>

>>>but it seems logical. I've been racking my head with this same
>>>

>>problem,
>>

>>>But I'm still in FC3. I can smb over into Windows all day, but have
>>>

>>no
>>

>>>authority to smb from windows to Linux. How did do you turn-on, turn-
>>>

>>off
>>

>>>SE-Linux? Have you submitted this work around to anyone?
>>>
>>>Jay Scherrer
>>>

>>Hello Jay,
>>
>>You can find the 'Security Level' gui utility in the 'System
>>Configuration' menu. Run it (you need to provide root password),
>>select
>>the SELinux tab and deselect the Enabled checkbox, reboot, and again,
>>select the Enabled checkbox, reboot, this may take a while because
>>the
>>relabel process.
>>
>>Regarding your issues with your smb network, it would be usefull if
>>you
>>provide us with a copy of your /etc/samba/smb.conf file to take a
>>look
>>into it.
>>
>>Back in to FC3 I never had troubles with my smb network, this issue
>>came
>>with my new FC4 installation. So I think that your trouble may be more
>>smb configuration one.
>>

>>best regards
>>
>>Teo Fonrouge
>>

>Thanks in advance
>Teo,
>I am also trying to setup a file and app server for a nonprofit org. I
>am using the secure setup smb.conf configuration from samba by example.
>This is on a FC3 fully updated Linux server.
>This is the problem:
>I am able to smbclient into the windows boxes, without any problem. And
>I have matched tcp and udp ports in the iptables and windows firewall.
>When I explore my network neighborhood Windows can see the Linux server,
>But for some reason I cannot open the samba shares on the Linux side. I
>get a message saying "I don't have permission to access the server". I
>have added all users using smbpasswd -a and enabled them with -e even
>for root. I have recently turned off seLinux to no effect.
>Any ideas?
>Attached is my /etc/smb.conf:
>#############################
>#/etc/samba/smb.conf
> [...]
Hello Jay,

AFAICS, there is not any setting that may be creating trouble, except by
the 'pass backend' setting, I think that you must indicate the complete
route for your .tdb password file, please try to change this setting to
something like:

passdb backend = tdbsam:<path>/passdb.tdb

Of course you must have a valid passdb.tdb file in your <path> route,
i.e.: tdbsam:/etc/samba/passdb.tdb

If the samba authentication process don't find your password file, your
client machines complains with 'access denied'

best regards

Teo Fonrouge