yum - lack of features

Dan Track dan.track at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 11:42:15 UTC 2005

Thanks for the all the replies.

The only reason I want to reinstall is to create the missing
directories again from a package. Its seems a bit long winded to
uninstall the package then re-install, but if that is the only way
then I guess I have to get used to using two tools instead of one. As
a side note does apt-get allow a package to be re-installed.

When going through the man page I couldn't see any option for
downloading. I had to use up2date to do that.

Also why has fedora considered yum for , when up2date does everything
that needs to be done, like downloading packages and reinstalling.

I have found that yum and up2date are generally of the same speed. the
reason why I say this is because yum for keeps re-reading and
sometimes re-downloads the package metadata. Apt-get seems much faster
than yum.

Dan