"Updating" i386 to x86_64

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Jun 28 21:06:22 UTC 2005

--On Tuesday, June 28, 2005 8:04 AM -0500 Jonathan Berry
<berryja at gmail.com> wrote:

> You should do a fresh install.  If you have done any configuration
> already, you can backup the files you have changed and restore them as
> needed.  I don't think there is any ability to "upgrade" from 32-bit
> to 64-bit as there are too many differences.  Even if you could, there
> would be major problems afterwards if some 32-bit files were left
> lying around in the wrong place.  Since you just did a fresh install
> anyway, is there a reason you want to upgrade?  Again, just do a fresh
> install.

Thanks, I was afraid of that, for a short while anyway. I've now decided to
repartition and squeeze the existing root partition to fit a second ext3
containing a 2nd copy of the OS with the other architecture. That way I can
switch back and forth and develop on both. (I'm doing some game development
and would like to see the client work on both architectures.)

Now I have to look up how to resize the partition. I probably can't do it
on the root partition so I may have to grab a "live CD" and do it with
that. System currently has 3 primaries, WinXP64, FC4, and swap. (For some
reason the FC4 installer didn't give me the option to put it an extended
partition.)