FC4, Gnome, and digital cameras

Daniel Orzechowski DANIEL.E.ORZECHOWSKI at saic.com
Tue Jun 28 21:06:37 UTC 2005

Udev on my FC4 install is set up to automatically create the device node
for my digital camera (/dev/camera) when it's plugged in and turned on.  No
problems there.  What I would like is to have the camera automatically show
up on my Gnome desktop.  When I navigate to its mountpoint (/misc/camera)
autofs mounts the device, it appears on my desktop, and the Gnome photo
importer dialog pops up.  How would I get Fedora to automatically mount my
camera's storage device and place it on the desktop when I plug it in?

And now that I think about it, is there any way to stop the photo importer
from running whenever I access the camera?  I don't need to "import" my
pictures anywhere, I just need to open it in The Gimp.

thanks in advance for any help.  Apologies if this has been posted before;
I tried searching the list archives through Gmane but it seems to be acting
up on me and I couldn't run any searches.