ATI Radeon and FC4

akarl fusionfive at comhem.se
Tue Jun 28 22:55:53 UTC 2005

Hi all,

After going through some trouble I finally managed to install the ATI
driver from the Livna server on FC3 some months ago. I carefully
documented the required steps to make it work. When follow the same
procedure on FC4 it fails.

The first thing I tried after having installed FC4 was to download and
install the proprietary drivers from the ATI website;
fglrx_6_8_0-8.14.13-1.i386.rpm and ati-driver-installer-8.14.13.run and
(of course) it didn't work. Moreover the installer doesn't seem to have
an uninstall option, so I don't know how to uninstall it. (That the
installer puts a license agreement text file in the root directory(!)
`/' is one more indication of ATI's ignorance.)

I have done:

    yum install kernel-module-fglrx-$(uname -r)

and added the the line

    Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"

to `Section "Device"' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (my Asus motherboard with
nForce2 chip set requires it, I've heard).

When I boot I get an error message about fglrx.ko not being found. What
package installs fglrx.ko and where is it supposed to be located? How do
I proceed from here?

Thanks in advance,
August