OK, I'm being cranky again....

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 29 01:03:12 UTC 2005

But I happen to fall into the group that fervently believes God
intended the Backspace key to send an ASCII backspace, ^H, and the
delete key to send an ASCII delete, 0x7f. I feel extremely apostate
running on Fedora Core 4 with its malassigned keys. Is there any
practical means of correcting this heinous misuse of ASCII? It really
seems strange to have to ask God for forgiveness for every time I use
the backspace key that sends a 0x7f <DEL> character.

I am sure this has come up before. And I admit to being too lazy to go
looking for it. I have other serious fish to fry such as getting dhcp
up and running. (I have virtually everything else running, dovecot
(pop3()s and imap(s)), spamassassin, automatic spamassassin learning
(almost), local telnet with root locked out (I do have a legacy machine
from WAY back which has no ssh), dns, ntp, privoxy, ftp, ncftp (gftp is
a pain in the <situponplace>), http (excpet for a mildly esoteric issue
with one of the virtual host by names I have), samba, my bashrc's
updated with nifties from the past, and so forth. I still have cups and
dhcp to do. So I am busy. Hey - this is all in two days with several
long sidetracks. Not bad. Fedora is coming up QUICKLY.)

{O.O}
        (And now some creebs from this audience - I wish Fedora had
        as much thought into the machine startup configuration as
        Mandrake appears to have. Gnome is about to drive me back to
        KDE. Gnome is dreadfully "Macoid". It seems to know how I
        SHOULD do things and by god will not give me the chance to
        change it properly. I do not like Autocratic OSs. Remember,
        I have an AmigaDOS period in my background. I got used to
        doing it MY way. The configuration tools that do exist are
        a little on the "weak" side. Where in the httpd configuration
        application is the button for turning on user html directories?
        It's clear in the httpd.conf file. But.... And so forth. FC4
        is "good". It has a ways to go to be "excellent". And it is
        not even in the running for "great". Mandrake 10.1 was perhaps
        a touch better than FC4 for user experience and somewhat
        worse to get some of the basics working. With both experiences
        under by bra now I think I'll stick with vi as my configuration
        tool. {^_-})